The rain felt like popcorn kernels being hurled at us, pelting our skin, soaking our clothes, covering the deck, and obscuring our vision. The strong winds came in gusts as if trying to catch us off guard while being pitched like a toy boat by the choppy white-capped water all around. Looking up, I could see one tiny blue window in the expanse of ominous rainclouds dominating the sky. I took a breath and allowed my mind to imagine reaching my hands into that hole and ripping it open, pulling away the blanket of darkness. The clouds would give way to a beautiful bright evening with the setting sun casting its warm light over the steep green mountains and then reflecting across the crisp blue water. The moment was cut short when a wave washed over my already drenched feet snapping me back to reality, and not a moment too soon. On cue, everyone prepared to tack and as soon as the sails began to luff we immediately set to work moving, tugging, releasing, pulling, bracing, cranking, and cleating with utmost speed and precision, unhindered by the rocking of the boat or the pelting rain from above.
I didn't hear the results, but I honestly had a great time sailing tonight. Kimo, the captain, is very fun to sail with and he managed his 4-man crew tonight very well. We had a great group dinner afterward (everyone brings/cooks a dish or two). I intend to continue helping him out every Thursday even when Meg goes back to the mainland in July. I love sailing.
No comments:
Post a Comment