Thursday, September 29, 2011

Floridian Life

There it is!  It's official!
Allow me to start out by announcing I am now officially a licensed Florida resident.  On the right is the proof.  In Florida, getting a driver's license is the only step required to becoming a permanent resident.  Fancy that!  Not only is all of that taken care of, but I registered to vote, bought some work clothes, had lunch, and renewed my causeway toll card all before noon.  I then took the liberty of going to get a haircut (my license picture makes it pretty apparent that I needed one).

Diving the Sapona Wreck from Steve's Boat
Enough about Florida though.  This past weekend (Sunday and Monday) I went to my 25th country: the Bahamas!  I'm one up on my goal of seeing as many countries as my age.  ...one up for the time being.  The experience was fantastic, going over with the diving class on one of the students' 50' boat and staying at his vacation house.  What a treat!  The only semi-downer of the entire experience is that the weather was constant sorrow the entire trip from the moment I woke up in Miami until the moment I finally walked back through the door back at home in Miami.  That being said, the Bahamas had it a little easier than Miami did in terms of Monday morning's rain.  The bottom line though is that we left RSMAS with 13 people and returned back with the same amount the next evening and had a fantastic experience.  Big shout out to Steve, Rick, and UM Risk Management for allowing this trip to happen!

Moving farther backward in time, Saturday was my first shark trip in 6 months!  Due to some complications and scheduling issues with our normal boat agency down in Islamorada, we are now going out of Key Largo which is only an hour away as opposed to two so I can leave at 6:30 instead of 5:30.  I love it.  Anyway, needless to say we went to a new site and while there, we caught a shocking 7 Nurse sharks and 2 Caribbean Reef sharks as well as one Goliath Grouper.  Although I was rusty and made a few mistakes, it was great to be out on the water again with the team.

1 comment:

  1. I shall now steal your identity and sell it on the internet. I too thought about posting my license when I first became a Florida resident two years ago, but decided against it haha

    ReplyDelete