Friday, September 23, 2011

Getting Antsy

It was a good guess, but the title has nothing to do with my job.  It instead refers to ants.  Not aunts.  Ants.  I have ants where there should be no ants.  If you guessed my pants, you were hoping for a good rhyme (and there's no shame in that of course, we all like good rhymes at the right times) but if you guessed my bed, then you're a winner.  I usually don't have much of a problem with ants when they're not eating my food and when they're not crawling on me.  They mind their own business and I mind mine.  There have been quite a few in my room over the past couple weeks and I squash them now and again but generally don't pay them much attention.  It's weird because I have food sealed up in my closet but they're not there.  Instead, they like to hang around my desk where there is never any food.  However when I came home tonight and found a half dozen ants in my bed, I turned into Donkey Kong from Super Smash Brothers and started swatting and squashing them.  There is something fundamentally sacred about a bed that cannot be violated by any creature whether they understand it or not.  A bed is like a temple, a safe place of reverence and peace where nothing and no one can harm you.  Beds are where we seek refuge from the boogie monster as a child, school as a kid, and dementia as a college student.  No matter which way you slice it, beds are no places for ants.  Period.

 In other news:
I managed to have a parking ticket nullified by talking to the parking and transportation office.
I will get my first paycheck tomorrow... as a temporary employee that is.
My first shark trip in 6 months is coming up on Saturday.
There's a CHANCE that I could be spending Sunday and Monday in the Bahamas.
I've now taught sailing twice with the sailing team at UM and it will hopefully open up more sailing opportunities.
Tomorrow after work I will be going to dinner and a movie with some friends then will immediately go home to watch the World Cup match between the US and Australia.  I reckon our odds are about 1 in a hundred at best but I'll cheer them on the whole way!

1 comment: