Friday, October 7, 2011

Thoughts and Plans

Being certified to dive with helium, teaching the college science diving course, getting trained to go cave diving, learning to dive on a rebreather, taking and then teaching the boating course, and diving in various locations around Florida and the Caribbean are all things that are potentially in my future.  All of these things have been presented to me as plans, not mere possibilities.  The prospect of these opportunities is what is keeping me very securely hooked into this position.  As I mentioned in a very recent post, I need regular stimulation in order to keep me satisfied.  If there was no promise of great excitement and benefit, I would be thinking about sending my resume out to distant corners of the earth and hopping on another plane.  I look back on my year of scuba instructing with a particular longing.  However, even if I went to do the same thing tomorrow, it wouldn't be the same.  I'm a different person now with different skills, experiences, and wisdom that I did not have last time.  It would lack a distinct thrill that it presented the first time around.
This topic is relevant because I was reminded today about a friend of mine who graduated this past spring from UM and landed a job on a liveaboard in Palau.  It is a country that has been on my list for 2 years but was too much of a risk to fly to without the promise of a job.  The internal monologue is simply the result of me reasoning with myself that it would be foolish to try repeating it.  Frankly there are some days that I really do wish I could be on a remote island with locals, fresh fish, and no worries in the world.  It usually happens when I'm sitting in rush hour traffic taking 40 minutes to drive the 10 minutes to get to my house from either campus.
Good ol' Sunshine State

Speaking of driving, I got my license plate changed today so now I'm pretty much a real Floridian.  I tried to get the plate that said Save Our Seas and had a shark on it but it turns out those cost about 80 bucks and then another 25/year to have.  No thank you.

On the job front, I'm very nearly official.  I'll keep the blog updated on my employment status which SHOULD change sometime around Monday.  Stay tuned!

Photo: http://www.15q.net/fl.html

No comments:

Post a Comment