Look into a mirror. Look hard. Stare into the eyes of the one who knows you best. Don't think, just observe and clear your mind. Take all the time you need.
Imagine yourself as a child. Allow enough time to truly remember. Watch as the face in the glass gets younger, as memories flash in front of you. Think back to the games you played, the friends you laughed with, and the dreams you had. Hear the calls of your friends to get you to come outside. Feel the wind in your hair as you ride your first bike. Smell the baseball glove when you opened it up for the first time. Taste your favorite candy on which you happily spent your entire allowance. Whatever your memories are, relive them while staring deeper and deeper in to the eyes in front of you. Remember the details of each memory. You are young. You are innocent and naïve. You have your whole life ahead of you.
Look now from within the reflection at yourself. Is this adult the person you had wished you would become? Has this person made wise choices? Do you want to grow up to be just like him or her? Would you look up to the adult staring you in the face? Think about these things. Connect with yourself. See your own life from inside and out.
We all change. A dynamic life is the only one I would ever want to have. I know that I have different values and ideals now than I did years ago and in some cases, just days ago. I would act much differently in past situations if I was put there today. This is part of growing. Embrace the change; without it you would actually be the child you were and there would be no point to try seeing yourself through those eyes because the perspective would be no different. What is nice about this inner reflection is that it's possible to step back and see where this growth is taking you. If it's not where you want to go, it's never too late to change. As Gandhi said, "you must be the change you wish to see in the world." I believe this starts with being the change you wish to see in yourself.
The bottom line here is to think. Think about yourself, your habits, ideals, beliefs, and actions. How do these things play a role in the world around you? Are you proud of who you are? As a child, would you look at yourself now and be excited for what lies ahead? Think about it.
No comments:
Post a Comment