![]() | |
| 4 team members with a Caribbean Reef Shark. Photo: N. Hammerschlag |
![]() |
| Diagram of fishing setup |
With one flick of the tail, the shark bolted and the one reeling it in struggled to stay on two feet. Knowing the shark was one of our biggest, all six of us quickly took action and within seconds we were all standing by: one with a tailrope, another with the cable, someone else to move the weight as needed, another to spot, and two people helping to pull in the shark. These tasks are never assigned but always get done as needed. We had become very good at recognizing what needed to be done and making sure it happened by this point in the trip.
“Definitely a tiger!” the captain called out as the shark neared the surface, still fighting and threatening to pull two of our experienced team members overboard. (Tiger sharks sometimes don't realize they're hooked and thus don't pull enough to pop the hook timer which explains why it was not engaged.) A renewed excitement washed over the crew. I wanted to drop the tailrope to help bring the shark in but there are only so many hands that can pull the line at a time. At long last, the shark was brought alongside the boat, the cable was wrapped around the body and I made quick work to slide the tailrope around the tail. The massive tiger refused to cooperate and she rolled over and over and over while we did our best to hold her in place. My hands were aching while I braced myself in the engine well grasping the aluminum rod that held the rope now attached to the shark's tail.
After a few minutes, she exhausted herself and we were able to start taking data. During this time it was decided that a couple of the girls (one being the videographer) could jump in the water with the shark so they quickly pulled their gear together. My long arms were needed to hold the dorsal fin out of the water enough to take a fin clip. After passing off the tailrope I made a split-second detour to my underwater camera to hand to the other team member in the water before grabbing the medical shears and draping myself over the gunwale in one smooth motion.
![]() | |
| Trying to hold the shark. Photo: C. Shepard |
Sharks secrete what is called TMAO on their scales and for all intensive purposes we can just consider it to be a mucous layer all over their body. For a reason unknown to me, tiger sharks have a lot of it. The reason I bring this up is that when trying to hold onto a dorsal fin to lift a several hundred pound fish up from the water as much as possible with one hand, operating medical shears in another hand, and holding onto the small piece of fin that is being cut off with yet another hand, things are complicated enough. Throw in a moving boat, raise it about 3ft from the water, and add a whole bunch of slippery TMAO into the mix and the task is rather impossible. Luckily with the help of the girls in the water we were able to take the sample and we were ready to set the shark loose.
Using bolt cutters to cut the hook is rarely a problem when the sharks are on the boat. However, it's another story when it's a 9-ft tiger shark in the water 3ft below the boat's edge with the hook lodged deep into the jaw and the boat is rocking back and forth. The professor wasn't able to cut the hook himself and needed help. Every situation calls for different measures. This time, help came in the form of me needing to scramble up to the port side, tangle myself there in the railing with my legs, dangle over the edge of the boat with my face hardly two feet from the shark's mouth, pull the monofilament taught with one hand, and grab one handle of the bolt cutters with the other to help him cut the hook. Here was yet another task that proved to be a great reminder that I am not a magician. I had to let go of the bolt cutters and monofilament to reposition myself while barely keeping from falling into the water within striking range of the tiger's jagged teeth. I settled myself, pulled the monofilament, and the professor was able to brace the cutters against the outboard side of the boat to cut the hook. A bit jaded, the shark swam slowly away, dipping under the hull and passing to the starboard side as she descended into deeper water. All six of us shared a brief moment of understood excitement, relief, satisfaction, exhaustion, accomplishment, and exhilaration before the feeling turned to the realization that we needed to make a swift hook replacement, set the bait and line, and tend to the 9 other baits in the water that needed to be retrieved.
| Tiger shark swimming away. Photo: F. Graham |
![]() |
| Releasing bait. Photo: C. Shepard |
| Goliath grouper. Photo: D. Lazarre |
Going to Key West
Going to the Dry Tortugas
Touching a tiger shark
Touching a caribbean reef shark
Snorkeling with wild dolphins
Catching a goliath grouper (larger than me) on rod and reel
Snorkeling with a nurse shark
Since returning to Miami from break, everything has gone my way. I found out that my cousin Claibourne had her baby, I got an A on my diving midterm which means I'll be one of the 6 to dive in the Florida aquarium in a week and a half, I used my birthday money to buy a new Halcyon backplate and BCD with Apeks regulators, and I scored a free ticket to the 4th round of the Sony Ericsson Open for Monday night through a friend of Rafael (we don't know who will be playing that match yet). Stay tuned and as I said, let me know if you want more detail on the other parts. It's getting late, this post is long enough, and I think sleep is a little more important at this point.




What a sweet adventure!! Also, congratulations on getting to dive at the aquarium! Things seem to be going really well for you lately. That rocks!
ReplyDeleteI couldn't think of putting everything in one post so I just had to choose one of the most memorable single stories but yes it was a sweet adventure indeed.
ReplyDeleteI'm super excited to dive in the aquarium: I buy into the reward system pretty easily. I could probably go volunteer at any aquarium but the fact that I had to study hard and do well on a test to get into this one makes it much more satisfying.