Monday, January 9, 2012

Field Work


Little Salt Spring
Remember how I said that I need pretty constant stimulation? This characteristic renders me not impressed when I drive across the state to watch over a diving operation for a week that is already running smoothly. There are two reasons why I'm here: oversee the diving/tending to any problems or emergencies, and to become more familiar with Little Salt Spring and the way classes are run out here. Both are necessary but I end up doing nothing. I waited from 9 until 11 this morning for divers I was supposed to give an introductory dive. At 11, Dr. Gifford tells me that he misread their email and they were instead planning to come Wednesday or Thursday. After that, I filled tanks, weaseled my way into the diving schedule, and filled more tanks before dinner. I don't normally read but I allowed The Old Man and the Sea to stow away with me and I'm keen to start it.  Again, I understand  and agree with the reasons for having me here but I just need to find something to keep me busy.

1 comment: