Samoa has officially decided to cancel Friday 30 December 2011. This is not a joke. I can't help but feel a little second rate that Samoa is completely skipping over a day. Here I thought the US was mighty enough to remove days from the calendar but I guess itty bitty Samoa beat us to it.
Yes of course this is tongue in cheek but I still find it fascinating that Samoa can skip over a day thus forcing the international date line to jump to the other side of the small island nation. It also makes me wonder what their December calendars look like with an empty space for Friday and then the 31st all alone. Why did they decide to skip a Friday? I would have much rather voted for a Monday or Tuesday. How about all the Samoans who have birthdays that fall on the 30th of December? If someone bought a plane ticket for the 30th, would it be completely invalid? What about those who got engaged and decided to have their wedding on that day? If someone bought a 3-day pass on the 28th to an amusement park for instance, could it still be used on the 31st? What happens to TV programming that has a Friday time slot? What about Samoan food that expires on the 30th? Is it just going to be good forever?
These questions and many more are just going to have to wait until I meet a Samoan and ask. Don't worry folks, I will be very ready when that day comes.
Yes of course this is tongue in cheek but I still find it fascinating that Samoa can skip over a day thus forcing the international date line to jump to the other side of the small island nation. It also makes me wonder what their December calendars look like with an empty space for Friday and then the 31st all alone. Why did they decide to skip a Friday? I would have much rather voted for a Monday or Tuesday. How about all the Samoans who have birthdays that fall on the 30th of December? If someone bought a plane ticket for the 30th, would it be completely invalid? What about those who got engaged and decided to have their wedding on that day? If someone bought a 3-day pass on the 28th to an amusement park for instance, could it still be used on the 31st? What happens to TV programming that has a Friday time slot? What about Samoan food that expires on the 30th? Is it just going to be good forever?
These questions and many more are just going to have to wait until I meet a Samoan and ask. Don't worry folks, I will be very ready when that day comes.
No comments:
Post a Comment