Saturday, June 18, 2011

Safe and Sound

I made it to Belize. The people here are very genuinely friendly here but lack the vigor that the Egyptians possessed. They do not need your whole life story but if you strike up a conversation, they are very willing and eager to talk. The people here are very down to earth and even during the hour spent in Belize City, I never once felt threatened. Sure the cityscape is much different than what we know in America but that’s to be expected. Analyzing snapshots of the city, you might think it to be a dangerous and sketchy place, but start talking to a few Belizeans and your impression will immediately change.

I underestimated my co-lead: during the past two weeks here, she has made great friends with locals and travelers, been offered trips through the jungle (if our day off was 3 days off, that’s where we would be), and really gotten to know a few areas around the region very well. She is full of great ideas and any doubts that I had are dwindling away. Oh, and she also had the credit card I was missing the night before so no need to worry about that anymore. This summer is going to be awesome.

The island I’m currently on brings sudden and frequent flashbacks to specific moments in both the Philippines and especially Indonesia. I’m on a small island with loads of backpackers, tours are advertized at little huts, there is no pavement, people primarily walk or bike, there is only one ATM on the entire island, etc. However, though there are similarities, Belize is not the same as its Southeast Asian cousins. I can only speak for a little bit of Belize City and a little bit more for Caye Caulker. I’ll have much more about the country later but as for now know that life is awesome and I’m finally about to get some sleep. Goodnight everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment