Welcome to the chronicle of my travels: my adventures into the unknown. Climb aboard and join me as I document my sensational trip around the world through images and words. Don't forget to buckle up!
Wednesday, May 26, 2010
Woofer
Wilderness Medical Associates is a medical training company that specializes in a variety of different medical qualifications in wilderness settings. One of these courses they offer is called Wilderness First Response, or WFR, colloquially known as “woofer.” The duration of the course is about 72 hours spread over 8 days: a semester class fit into one week. The caliber of training is on par with EMS training minus the extensive medical vocabulary. I went into it expecting it to be interesting and came out of it with my mind totally blown. I was already an Emergency First Response instructor, a basic first aid with primary and secondary care including CPR which takes all of a day to complete. After finishing the WFR course, I feel like I can actually save anyone in any situation. I feel foolishly like a super hero. Our daily simulations were extensive and complete with fake blood, vomit, impaled objects, bruises, and all sorts of makeup. After talking to Robin, one of the two instructors, I learned that after being certified, I can essentially walk right onto a lot of ski patrol teams on the East coast and some out West as well. Among stabilizing and fixing a slew of issues, I am certified to administer epinephrine, reduce dislocations, remove impaled objects, tend to and clean severe wounds including amputations, load patients onto backboards (legit and improvised), and assess spinal injuries. I not only know how to do these things, but considering my lack of real-life experience, I can do them pretty well. If anyone is ever in an emergency, I'm your man. Well, if there's no doctor, EMT, or other medical professional nearby.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment