I'm too charged to sleep.
I close my eyes lying in my bed, awake.
What a sensation. My bed. At home.
In Ohio. With my family. Safe.
I sift through memory after memory as they pop up in my
head just like the balls that decide the winning lottery numbers. They come in short snippets, sometimes just
images, other times full experiences.
Some come just as feelings while others are series of events. Memories.
I have been gone for a year and now I’m home. I’ve been to the ends of the Earth alone and
have made it back safe and sound. At
home. With my family.
My body is relaxed but my mind ticks through memories of
the year. Sitting on the porch in Hawai’i,
the view of Arthur’s Pass in New Zealand, the Hindu ceremony in Singapore,
finishing and passing the scuba instructor exam, the dogs I passed on my way to
work in St Maarten, cleaning the rail on the sun deck of the yacht, and biking through the coconut farms on my way to work in Indonesia. Memory after memory comes to mind then is
replaced by another one just like leafing through a textbook and looking at the
pictures, stopping occasionally to read a caption. But now I’m in my bed. In Ohio.
I still can’t sleep but I’m enjoying the feeling too much
to move. Everything at home is
just as I left it, almost untouched. The
memories keep coming to me, almost as if my mind doesn’t want me to
forget. Everything is as I left it so my
mind is afraid that I’m going to pick right up where I left off as if nothing
ever happened. It does already feel like
it was a different life, like it was a different me. As the memories float past, I remind myself
that they are my memories. It wasn’t
someone else, it wasn’t a dream, it wasn’t a parallel universe, and I didn’t
imagine it. I went to the other side of
the world and now I’m back. In my bed. Safe.
As I lie awake with all of these thoughts swimming in my
head, I can’t help but think of the future.
I’m excited to see friends, go to church, drive through town, and even in
the more distant future like working in Egypt and going back to school. It’s all going to be an adventure. I’m ready for it but I don’t want to rush it
one bit because I am enjoying too much the feeling of being safely at home, in
Ohio, with my family, in my bed. What a sensation.
No comments:
Post a Comment