Monday, May 24, 2010

Turn, Turn, Turn

I'm writing this after being back in the states for a while but I am waiting to post it and backdate it due to the fact that I am making a surprise visit to graduation and don't want to give myself away.

The day trip to Saba was a lot of fun. The diving reminded me a little of Bali, minus a lot of fish. Landing on the tiny runway was great and then riding in the car was dizzying. You see, the tiny island is nearly like a cone and all roads up or down snake back and forth all the way up and down the mountain.

Likewise, the final days of St Maarten were essentially as expected although it all seemed very sudden. I'm so used to packing up and leaving places that it didn't phase me a lot. It wasn't until the plane was lifting off the ground that I fully grasped the fact that St Maarten had just turned into a chapter of my past.

I flew into Charlotte and stayed in the house of Mike's parents (Mike is the boyfriend of my sister). Over the past 11+ months, I've seen malls, cities, buildings, cars, paved roads, and fast-food chains. Those were not particularly special. However, seeing a neighborhood was captivating. Houses were lined up one after another with yards full of lush green grass with signs of lawn mowers.

Guyton and Susie's wedding was wonderful. Relatives I hadn't seen in ages were there and I had the pleasure of meeting some new folks as well.

The real bit of interest comes after arriving at home. Flying into CAK from Charlotte, I was separate from my parents and my flight arrived a few hours prior to theirs. Without a car or phone, the only way to get home from the airport was to arrange a ride and in stepped Mark to the rescue.


I have to recover the other half of this post. It will come later.

No comments:

Post a Comment