Sunday, November 22, 2009

Unemployed and Alone

I'm tired of snorkeling, biking around the island and having to walk the bike through the thick soft sand every few hundred feet, going to bars, and coming up with excuses not to go to parties. I'm living on a gorgeous island even if it is littered to no end with trash. I like the island, but I hate being unemployed. I am going out of my mind without anything concrete to do. I've already nearly exhausted the money I made from teaching the three open water courses my first few days here about two weeks ago. The “bookstores” are stocked with only whatever books travelers come with and don't want anymore, and most of them are Swedish, German, and French anyway. Anywhere I see books, I stop to look in hopes to find Walden or any Thoreau waiting for me, always to no avail.

My first thought every morning when I wake up is “only 8 more days until Singapore,” “only 7 more days til I leave for Singapore,” “I'll be in Singapore in 6 more days,” etc. If I was here with a friend, I think I would be having the time of my life. Unfortunately, I feel like as if I'm not appreciating my time here as much as I should. It just goes to show my need for constant stimulation whether a good friend or something new and exciting. I'll have a guitar by Tuesday so that will be a serious change for the better. However, the rainy season is late so it will probably start pouring any day now and I won't be able to take the guitar up to the top of the hill and play in the empty expanse under a tree like I was initially planning to do.

1 comment:

  1. Meanwhile we are busy planning our trip to come visit you in just a few weeks! Get a notebook and start writing songs, poetry, or drawing. Solitude is often a wonderful time for creative juices!!

    ReplyDelete