Thursday, October 11, 2012

Politics Round 3

I heard about but did not see a Romney billboard that was talking about how if you want a world with gay marriage, then vote for Obama.
The advertisement was flawed from the start because that's exactly what half the country wants.  Maybe I'm biased because I have friends and family that are homosexual and I think they are wonderful.  I think that yes, marriage is between a man and a woman but does it need to be exclusively so?  I honestly think not.  I really do think that it's fine for men to love men and women to love women.  I don't believe that it's my place to tell someone that he or she is not allowed to love someone else.  How can anyone control who someone else loves?  Just because I am not gay doesn't mean that no one else is allowed to be and I'm not sure why some people think that that's exactly what it means.

I think this is going to be a tough decision for the election.  It would be nice to be able to pick and choose what to take from each candidate because they both have good ideas of their own and I think that if we took the best of both worlds that this country would flourish.

On a side note, I found out today that middle schoolers don't play real football anymore because we as a country have deemed it unsafe.  They instead play flag football without helmets, without kicking/punting, and only 8 downs to reach the endzone.  The way the game is set up is not very similar to the sport it is trying to mimic.  No I don't like or appreciate football and would not choose to play it but I am saddened that we would step in and bastardize the sport.  If you don't want your kids playing a contact sport, sign them up for cross country, tennis, swimming, track, or even basketball or soccer which do have contact but not in the same way.  If your child wants to play a contact sport and that is his dream, then work with him to play it safely.  Don't go changing the entire sport.  These are the same people that call it bullying when a coach has players run laps and have outlawed it.  I don't know what the goal is here in adolescent athletics, but I'm not a fan of the changes.  I wish George Carlin was still alive with his biting repartee to come up with an edgy, witty stand-up routine about it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment