I have been reminded why I don't like politics. It's a game that involves coercion, deception, money, and lies. I do not endorse such games. This and seemingly all presidential races just turn into two men and their respective cohorts scheming up ways to bend and twist the truth and often to outright lie in order to make a point. The worst part is that it works. More people hear these lies and take them as fact than do the people who actually see the statements for the lies that they are. This only works to perpetuate the strategy. It's part of the political game and both sides play by those rules because if they don't then they don't stand a chance. It's a cruel and vile game of which I want to have no part. Unfortunately, I don't have too much of a choice. In reality, there are 6 presidential candidates according to my trusty Wikipedia research but realistically, it only comes down to two men. One has been running the country for the past 4 years and as far as I've heard he hasn't lived up to a lot of promises he made. The other is making a lot of promises that many people don't seem to understand or think will work for lack of details. Both are dropping lies about the other and the other's position so who the heck am I to believe anymore???
Obama already has 47% of the vote absolutely no matter what he does. My impression is that Obama supporters are like many Mac users. Once they get one, they suddenly think that it's the greatest thing since sliced bread and no matter how many times they have to go to the Apple store to get it fixed, they still insist that nothing on Earth competes with it. Obama supporters are convinced that he can do no wrong and any word against him is a fallacy. Romney has a more difficult role: the other 40-some percent of the country is convinced that Obama has mortally wounded this nation and another 4 years of him would surely be the end of the world as we know it. No matter what either one of them says, they're still guaranteed that percentage and both of them are well aware of it. The last little sliver of the voting population, like me, are the ones who are really going to decide the fate of this election. Again, the candidates are well aware of this. So what do they both do to reach us? They prey on our apathy and ignorance by deceiving us. They tell us about how the other candidate is a horrible monster who doesn't deserve to run this country. They tell us about how the US will crumble if the other is elected. They target our lack of familiarity with the facts and feed us lies to get us to believe what they want us to believe.
I'm sick of it.
I don't know who I'll vote for but being an undecided voter in the biggest swing state in the country, I know my voice is pretty significant and I will vote but good grief is this hard.
Is voting really meant to be this stressful?
Obama already has 47% of the vote absolutely no matter what he does. My impression is that Obama supporters are like many Mac users. Once they get one, they suddenly think that it's the greatest thing since sliced bread and no matter how many times they have to go to the Apple store to get it fixed, they still insist that nothing on Earth competes with it. Obama supporters are convinced that he can do no wrong and any word against him is a fallacy. Romney has a more difficult role: the other 40-some percent of the country is convinced that Obama has mortally wounded this nation and another 4 years of him would surely be the end of the world as we know it. No matter what either one of them says, they're still guaranteed that percentage and both of them are well aware of it. The last little sliver of the voting population, like me, are the ones who are really going to decide the fate of this election. Again, the candidates are well aware of this. So what do they both do to reach us? They prey on our apathy and ignorance by deceiving us. They tell us about how the other candidate is a horrible monster who doesn't deserve to run this country. They tell us about how the US will crumble if the other is elected. They target our lack of familiarity with the facts and feed us lies to get us to believe what they want us to believe.
I'm sick of it.
I don't know who I'll vote for but being an undecided voter in the biggest swing state in the country, I know my voice is pretty significant and I will vote but good grief is this hard.
Is voting really meant to be this stressful?
I agree with you %100 Robbie. I'm STILL undecided when it comes to my vote - I'm probably going to end up basing it on what each candidate (and I'm including all the 3rd party ones on my ballot) is likely to veto and the type of Supreme Court judge they'll appoint, since those are the two most concrete powers of the president.
ReplyDelete