Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Clarifying

I wanted to finish what I was saying last night before falling asleep.  The reason I brought up the symphony is not to try showing off about how I'm in this great group.  I re-read the post from last night and that's what it sounds like.  On the contrary, I was trying to make a point that they're much more serious than I have ever been and ever anticipate being.  The intention was to point out the fact that my hobby of music is beginning to interfere with the research I came to Miami to do.  The trouble is that while I can't bear to give up viola, it's quite nearly impossible to join a research team and be in the symphony at the same time.  It's not a matter of having enough time but rather about conflicting schedules.

Dr. Glynn is apparently a big name in the marine science world, particularly as being one of the key founders of the idea of El Niño.  He's my Marine Biology professor and he has volunteering opportunities open in his lab.  I understand and accept that in order to work up a ladder you have to start from the bottom.  Thanks to this understanding, I'm happy and even excited to be doing grunt work.  It does sound like it could be fun; I'm not doing what I love, but I don't know what I love so I can't think of a better alternative.
I had lab in the Miami Seaquarium today which consisted of observing dolphin behavior and then running around the exhibits like a kid after finishing the lab.  It was fun.

One of the benefits of being a student is that you get a lot of free stuff and get to do a lot of cool things.  I got a shirt tonight for the marine science club, played volleyball in an incredible fitness center, went to the Seaquarium, and saw Toy Story 3 today all at no additional cost.  I'm going to miss the student life once I am actually too old to pass as an undergrad.

2 comments:

  1. Can you get me free swims with dolphins, please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah, I wish. I'm determined to swim with dolphins for free someday. I'll let you know where and how when I figure it out.

    ReplyDelete