Much to my surprise, I didn't sleep a wink on the 4-5 hour ride to Milford Sound. Between the guide's informative tidbits and the stunning scenery, albeit set amongst a gray sky, there was enough to keep my eyes glued to the windows and my camera poised in my hands ready for any break in the clouds.
Welcome to the chronicle of my travels: my adventures into the unknown. Climb aboard and join me as I document my sensational trip around the world through images and words. Don't forget to buckle up!
Friday, February 19, 2010
From Sea to Shining Sea
The gray clouds overhead were looming with rain while I stood alone waiting for the bus.
I had paid the money for the tour and so I prayed that the 7am clouds would clear by the time we reached the west coast; visibility was awful. 20 minutes passed before I called the office on the phone certain that they must have forgotten me; evidently they were just running behind. Why they were behind schedule was completely beyond me. When I boarded the coach, there were 12 eyes looking my way. One English couple, two German women, the driver, and a trainee all watched me and smiled when I realized how crowded the bus wasn't.
Much to my surprise, I didn't sleep a wink on the 4-5 hour ride to Milford Sound. Between the guide's informative tidbits and the stunning scenery, albeit set amongst a gray sky, there was enough to keep my eyes glued to the windows and my camera poised in my hands ready for any break in the clouds.
As the day went by and the bus pressed onward, we arrived at Milford Sound. Milford Sound as it turns out is actually a fjord due to the fact that it was carved out by a massive glacier (geologically speaking, not too long ago). As a result of it's formation, the high peaks of the mountain range drop straight into the water to form a breathtaking view around every winding turn. Massive bodies of rock rise up like majestic towers that have stood by for thousands of years keeping watch over the sea. These phenomenal rocky peaks are covered with a surprising amount of greenery which brings the mountain faces to life. As if the cliffs alone were not impressive enough, we were visited by a pod of playful dolphins jumping out of the water.

The entire experience was something magical, the likes of which I've never experienced. Never have I felt magic in the wind, breathed enchantment out of the air, or been so awestruck with beauty as I was when slowly cruising along the water of Milford Sound. Pictures do not do this place justice but I will include them anyway.
Much to my surprise, I didn't sleep a wink on the 4-5 hour ride to Milford Sound. Between the guide's informative tidbits and the stunning scenery, albeit set amongst a gray sky, there was enough to keep my eyes glued to the windows and my camera poised in my hands ready for any break in the clouds.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Whew, I just had a lot of catching up to do... been busy lately, but good to hear you're doing well. Hehe I never would've imagined hitchhiking as a very... viable method of transportation... still though, damn interesting. Good luck with everything man!! If I could, I definitely would provide you with some company, sadly school keeps me chained down =(
ReplyDeleteNo worries. Academics are more important anyway. As for hitching, yes. Awesome.
ReplyDeleteAt least you get to make it out to Bahamas. That'll be a lot of fun. Too bad you won't be coming a bit farther south.
Well, I all this time I thought I was a member. . . I thought I joined earlier, but obviously something didn't work. . . I guess I am now!! Robbie, I love your blogs! I talked to Meg tonight and was glad that she and Conor were able to connect with you for lunch today! With Conor working and Meg trying to leave for New Zealand very early tomorrow morning, I was thinking you wouldn't see each other. Anyway, I'm glad it worked and that all 3 of you could catch up! (I just wish you could have caught up with Bruce,too!) :-) XO
ReplyDelete