When I'm not using my computer, experiencing familiarity (of life back home) is quite difficult. The spaghetti sauce is not very good, the pizzas aren't made properly or with normal pepperoni, supermarkets are unheard of, the only form of private transportation is the motorbike, I haven't seen a microwave in nearly a month, I have to flush
More often than not, I find myself to be the only American in a given group of people - the only person from all of North and South America for that matter. It's therefore exciting when I can recognize something from the states. It took much longer for this to happen in South Africa since I was surrounded by Americans all the time, but I feel as if my American pride grows when I leave. So often I feel like the American representative being the only one around.
I finally got my Nitrox certification. Once I dive 16 more times on Nitrox and certify 25 students for any level of scuba diving, I'll be able to give Nitrox certifications. Unfortunately, that might take a while. However I'm already on my way.
I finished my very first open water certification on the 31st! My student Sonja is an 18-year-old from Alaska and lucky for me, she was very comfortable underwater and her buoyancy control was great. She loved playing around with the fish and really seemed to have had a great time learning how to dive. Thanks to Sonja I'm off to a great start! It's also nice that I'll be getting about a hundred dollars for certifying her. An entire month of rent!
Renaud is a rescue diver from France learning a bit of technical diving while he's here. He's a really great guy and his birthday was a few days ago. To celebrate, we had a great Mexican group dinner. Excellent food for an excellent guy.
On a dive earlier that day, I accidentally and unknowingly knocked Maria's regulator and mask off causing her to panic. In trying to get a hold of my regulator, she climbed over my back and tried to rip my mask off (keep in mind I had no idea she was missing reg or mask). After about 10 seconds of wrestling, Mark saw what was going on and gave her a regulator and I finally got a chance to clear my mask to see Mark and Maria together moving toward the surface. Renaud and I grabbed her mask and surfaced together. Happy birthday, Renaud.
I've been going through some serious job searches and it's killing me. My afternoons (whenever I'm not diving) are completely taken up by sitting in front of the computer going through dive shop after dive shop, and writing email after email. I start from scratch on each one because I mention how the particular operation looks particularly appealing. So far I've sent out at least 12 emails and my only response has been negative, which is better than no response at all. I've been searching not only for jobs in and around Bali (including Lombok and Komodo Island as well), but also searching for an offer after I leave Indonesia. I will consider any offer from Andaman Islands, Tanzania, Zanzibar, Pemba, Comoros, Maldives, Reunion, Mauritius, Madagascar, and Seychelles (preference in reverse order).
With so many options, I would like to have some sort of concrete communication before buying a plane ticket. I'm afraid that if I don't have any connections before going, I won't be able to find a job. My worries are popping up now because there appears to be a less dense population of dive centers in these locations than are in Philippines and Bali, so if I exhaust my options, I have to buy a ticket to another country to start over. Not only are there fewer dive centers, but they are generally wealthier areas with fancier resorts and more expensive housing so looking around for a job for the first couple weeks I'm there won't be such a bright idea anymore. Plus my French is not at a level of fluency and 5 of those countries have French as a national language.
Speaking of French, there's a really awesome guy who showed up a few days ago named Tomi. He is 22,
I feel like I should mention something about school starting without me but I'm tired of writing and you're probably excited that the end of the post is in sight. It is weird that classes are starting but I'm so far removed from it right now that I can't fully comprehend it anyway. I hope you enjoyed the random pictures and until next time, don't forget to wear sunscreen.
Robbie I totally get what you are going through! Everyone said graduating wouldn't really feel real until we didn't pack up to return in the fall, but with the move to a new country, Denison seems years away. I am starting to miss all the small things too, like chocolate milk (milk is not normal here as well) and potato chips. Lunch at the cafeteria today was some sort of egg noodle with cinnamon, apricot jelly/gravy and sugar on top...yea. But I am so proud of you! You seem to be getting more involved in the community than me. Plus you totally make me want to go scuba diving. I love reading about your adventures, so never think it is boring!
ReplyDeleteHi Robbie! Colleen told us about your blog...I've spent the afternoon catching up on your adventures! WOW! Sounds like an adventure of a life time and having these posts will be a treasure. Caitlin is still in Sydney and Andrew is in Newcastle until Nov.21. They are talking about going to Bali but not sure when. I'll keep them posted on your location.God Bless! We're praying for you.....Becky
ReplyDeleteHey! I talked with Kierstan and Ben (Meg's friends) at Katy's wedding and they have a really close friend who lives in Bali! I will send Kierstan your email address and get you two connected. Sounds like something that might settle your mind a little.
ReplyDeleteHey Becky! I'm glad you like the blog and reading about all of my adventures. I hope that after a couple weeks in Bali I should have a job. If they come then they better go diving! As I've said I'll get there on the first of November. After 3 weeks I should have a good idea of the area. They're more than welcome to come visit. I hope everything is going well back in Granville.
ReplyDeleteLiza, I haven't heard anything from Kierstan or Ben. I haven't heard if the video of the cousins' song was posted. What happened with that?