Two nights ago I had perhaps the worst headache of my entire life. With every beat of my heart came a punch in the face right between the eyes. In bed, I tossed and turned all night long finding no escape from the overwhelming pounding in my head. I sent Jay a text around 7am to relay the message that I would be very late.
Thanks to the headache, yesterday marked the very first day that I did not dive since my first day here about two weeks ago. I got to the shop around 11:45 (instead of 8), already missing the first two dives of the day. Mark (if I haven't said so, Mark is the one in charge of the diving here) had me give an equipment refresher to a woman named Bernardine whom hasn't been diving in a long time and felt very nervous. She was incredibly appreciative and even though Jay ended up leading the dive while I stayed on shore, she came back to report that despite her apprehension she had an absolutely wonderful time. While treating me to a spot of tea afterward, I discovered that she is a musician. A few teas later, I found myself being offered a one-time recording opportunity.
She works with a recording studio in Manila and would like me to take a weekend to travel there and spend a few days jamming and recording for her upcoming album. I've already talked to her friend at the studio and he said that he wouldn't have much problem getting a hold of a viola to borrow. I don't know how well known she is and I don't know if she'll give me a single cent but frankly it doesn't matter at all. Being able to play viola, particularly for a recording, is worth a lot to me. As if that wasn't enough good fortune, later last night I was introduced to a father and daughter from Alaska who just arrived in Sabang after a couple days in Manila and the daughter is keen to do her open water scuba certification while she's here. I was originally upset when Mark assigned me to hold down the shop while everyone else spends the morning and early afternoon doing two dives and a barbeque lunch on the beach at Verde Island. However, it may have created precisely the right circumstances to begin my first certification. Mark went over the basic course structure (organization) and is going to let me instruct her course, so the only thing that would ruin it is if she decides not to do the course.
Oh my goodness! I forgot to write about my favorite night since I've arrived in the Philippines! Several days ago I helped lead a Discover Scuba Diving experience with Mermaids dive resort right next door. As I was preparing for it, a friend of mine named Maria invited me to join her and a middle-aged couple for a picnic dinner after I finished. I accepted without thinking twice about it. As I returned to Mermaids 20 minutes after they were supposed to leave for the picnic, I was surprised to see that they (three Filipino guys, the couple, and Maria) were waiting for me in their boat and after throwing my gear in the dive shop and quickly changing into shorts, we departed. The brave little banca (traditional boat) battled the waves like a champ all the way to a small island which was home to a local village. While we sat outside a tiny house chatting and I indulged myself on coconut and some sort of sweet soft oily rice snack, the mosquitoes feasted on me. I kept hearing the voices of concerned friends and family who had asked about vaccines and malaria medication. Hiding my paranoia was impossible so I was thrilled when we got up to move toward our second destination.
Back on the banca, we motored around the island to a secluded beach. As the sun set somewhere on the other side of the mountainous island, we started a fire and the Filipinos proceeded to cook dinner while I stood on the soft sand talking to Maria. Before long, we feasted on delicious stuffed fish, rice, a vegetable dish, and pork. Every bit of it was made in the traditional Filipino style and thus I felt justified in using my fingers as much as I could. Not only was it some of the best food I've had since coming to the Philippines, but it was on a beautiful beach, lending to the natural ambient soundtrack of waves lapping the sand and palm trees rustling in the occasional gentle breeze. Above us, the stars were as plentiful as those found in planetariums. The milky way was easily visible cutting right through the summer triangle, with thousands of stars twinkling over the rest of the sky with what I am guessing was Venus toward the south. Lying on the sand watching shooting stars while talking to Maria for about an hour before taking the banca back to Sabang was the perfect end to an incredible evening. I don't know how likely it is, but I would love to make it happen again sometime soon: it's much better than going to the bars.
I'm SOOOoooOOOooooooOOO jealous of your picnic! (as is everyone else in my class whom I relayed your awesome adventures to)
ReplyDeleteWow! That sounds absolutely amazing, Robbie. Recording on viola, instructing someone in the dive course, that awesome picnic - it seems like things are going really well for you there!!
ReplyDelete-Jenny