Monday, July 6, 2009

Assistance

I have now been going to scuba class for 5 days. The classroom portions have been relatively bland. Larry is trying to make the material interesting, but the truth is that he is required to go through all of the slides and handouts that are part of the class - an entire 3-inch binder's worth (that's why it takes 10 days averaging 7 hours a day to get through everything). Granted every once in a while we get to go to the pool or beach. The in-water hands-on type work is the type that Jeremy and I like the most. Jeremy is the other guy taking the course with me. He is very cool - 30 or 40 something years old, is a pilot, has been a skydiving instructor, and now runs a business where he takes people out to dive with great whites... outside of a cage. He has a laid back attitude and is fun to work with.

Dell is ridiculous. When I called them to fix the order the first time (when all they had was pink), we settled on a different laptop altogether. A few days later I later realized that we had forgotten about Photoshop. I called him back and had him add it to my order since I asked for it with the original order. It turns out that he added it by canceling and re-submitting my order which pushed the delivery date back several more days, but the worst part is that he charged me for it. When I realized this I sent him a very unhappy email and when he called back the next morning I ended up settling for a $50 gift card. Not a full compensation, but it's enough to at least shut me up I suppose. The new laptop which I ordered on the 28th of May is expected to arrive on the 22nd of July. Good grief, Dell.

Getting back to the scuba class, the first 4 days of the instructor course count as becoming a certified Assistant Instructor. Neat, eh? We sent the paperwork off today so I'll be getting a card soon.

I want to write about more such as my swim today but my eyes are closing because I'm so exhausted.

2 comments:

  1. Jeremy sounds like the wrong guy to hang around with. Can't you find someone who stays in the cage around the great whites? :) Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well to tell you the truth, they start out in the cage and assess the situation. If it's unsafe, they wouldn't dare get out. They're very safe about it. National Geographic is apparently coming out with another show/documentary that's going to be better than Planet Earth and Jeremy is going to be one of the guys helping out when they do the shark sequence.

    ReplyDelete