There are times at work when it is evident that I'm the rookie. Sure there are certainly times when I feel like I'm a pro and I have confidence that verges on overconfidence but that's not what I'm here to talk about. When it really comes down to it, I have been a scuba diver for less than 5 years, teaching for less than 4 years (have certified only a few dozen divers, and was introduced to scientific diving 2 years ago. In terms of boating, I used to be a competitive sailor of 1-2 person boats at a small spot one month out of the year back in elementary, middle, and high school. My experience on motor boats is not really all that extensive, particularly over the past 10 years. I'm now teaching graduate students how to be research divers as a full-time job and then over winter break teaching them how to be proficient motor boat operators. I've been living in Miami for 2 and a half years and part of both courses require me not only to understand the local marine environment for myself but to know it so well that I can teach it to others.
Tonight is one of those times where I really feel like a kid trying to play with the big boys. They're nice and they help me out but they also have to pick up a lot of my slack. After thinking about it today, I couldn't come up with any special skills I bring to the table that aren't already there. I hate it when I'm the one who is holding others back; I'm making a valiant effort but I can't use my inexperience as an excuse: I need to get better. In sports you improve the most by competing with and against better players and it seems like this is going to be the same case here. I'll get my butt kicked a few times but I'll learn even if it has to be through my mistakes. It will take a while to reach the point that I'm no longer the new guy but it's something everyone has to go through I suppose.
In happier news, I get to see Christina for the first time in just over 3 weeks!
Tonight is one of those times where I really feel like a kid trying to play with the big boys. They're nice and they help me out but they also have to pick up a lot of my slack. After thinking about it today, I couldn't come up with any special skills I bring to the table that aren't already there. I hate it when I'm the one who is holding others back; I'm making a valiant effort but I can't use my inexperience as an excuse: I need to get better. In sports you improve the most by competing with and against better players and it seems like this is going to be the same case here. I'll get my butt kicked a few times but I'll learn even if it has to be through my mistakes. It will take a while to reach the point that I'm no longer the new guy but it's something everyone has to go through I suppose.
In happier news, I get to see Christina for the first time in just over 3 weeks!
Where is the Like button?
ReplyDelete