Politics. I hate it. I have never understood, appreciated, or been interested in politics at any level. However, the election is coming up soon and I feel that it is my responsibility to exercise my right to vote. I have never affiliated with a political party before which at this stage is beneficial because I'm not swayed one way or another based on blind loyalty to one party or another.
One issue that I see recurring on news and campaigns is taxation. One side claims that I should pay more taxes while the other side is telling me that rich people should give me a break and pay some of my share for me. Both candidates are saying that their system of taxation is fair so who am I supposed to believe?
Taxation was created in the US on a percentage system. Everyone is required to pay back a certain percentage of whatever he or she makes. The rich pay hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands, even hundreds of thousands of dollars more than I pay in taxes to the government while the poor pay much less than I do. The percentage system was put in place to account for the rich making more money than the middle and lower classes. They already pay tons more than we pay. If I work my butt off my whole life and earn a fortune, I don't want to be responsible for paying more than my slice of the pie. With that system, we're going to turn into the European Union where everyone calls on Germany to bail them out. How can we expect to keep calling upon the upper class to bail everyone else out? If we keep taking their money, sooner or later there won't be an upper class left and who will save us then? Whose money will we take once we exhaust all of their savings?
What I think is fair is everyone stepping up and pitching in their portion, even if this means the majority of our country (myself included) pay a little bit more. Where that money is spent is a whole other issue.
In other news, I'm going to California on Sunday! It is for the American Academy of Underwater Sciences and I'm quite excited about it. It will be interesting to see how other programs are run. Plus it will be nice to go to Monterrey for my first time.
One issue that I see recurring on news and campaigns is taxation. One side claims that I should pay more taxes while the other side is telling me that rich people should give me a break and pay some of my share for me. Both candidates are saying that their system of taxation is fair so who am I supposed to believe?
Taxation was created in the US on a percentage system. Everyone is required to pay back a certain percentage of whatever he or she makes. The rich pay hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands, even hundreds of thousands of dollars more than I pay in taxes to the government while the poor pay much less than I do. The percentage system was put in place to account for the rich making more money than the middle and lower classes. They already pay tons more than we pay. If I work my butt off my whole life and earn a fortune, I don't want to be responsible for paying more than my slice of the pie. With that system, we're going to turn into the European Union where everyone calls on Germany to bail them out. How can we expect to keep calling upon the upper class to bail everyone else out? If we keep taking their money, sooner or later there won't be an upper class left and who will save us then? Whose money will we take once we exhaust all of their savings?
What I think is fair is everyone stepping up and pitching in their portion, even if this means the majority of our country (myself included) pay a little bit more. Where that money is spent is a whole other issue.
In other news, I'm going to California on Sunday! It is for the American Academy of Underwater Sciences and I'm quite excited about it. It will be interesting to see how other programs are run. Plus it will be nice to go to Monterrey for my first time.
No comments:
Post a Comment