 |
| Olin Hall was pretty much my home for 4 years. Math, Astronomy, Physics. |
So here I am at 1am when, instead of sleeping, I'm here on the internet. Often I would consider what I do on the internet at this hour wasting time by checking emails that never come, browsing music, surfing Wikipedia, updating facebook, etc. Tonight I was about to go to bed when I ran into a facebook group that I was invited to join. It was made for my graduating class at Denison and the idea, at least in the short term, is to update everyone on what we're doing. It brought a wave of nostalgia crashing over me. Sure Ohio isn't my favorite state, but boy do I love Denison University. I have a lot of loyalty to the University of Miami, but Denison to me has a much more special place in my heart. Since graduating, I've only been back for 2-3 days which was to visit for graduation in 2010. I'm still in touch with a handful of people from Denison, some on a regular basis and others I'll talk to every year or so. By and large, there's no one from Denison with whom I would consider myself in good communication. I have a history of not keeping up with people. My whole life I've had this issue. However, that's not the topic of the night tonight. Tonight, I'm simply trying to express that I miss college life. I miss being an undergrad at Denison. I miss the friends, the close proximity, the schedule, the opportunities, the clubs, the knowledge to gain, the scenery, the friendliness of the school and surrounding town, the professors, and really having a defined role in all of it. My mind is just drifting through memories of my time there in no particular order. I'm thinking of my work with the Physics department, the concerts I played, my freshman year dorm, spending time in the observatory, track meets, roommates, dining halls, classes, and then much more specific experiences. I poured all of my effort into doing my best during those years and because I was so fiercely devoted to giving it my all, I am now all the more attached to it. Denison will forever be my alma mater no matter where I go or what I do.
You have no idea how good it feels to hear someone express the same feelings as I have. I get mad nostalgic for Denison sometimes and it's totally normal and I think every one of us gets it especially if we had a fantastic amazing experience like at Denison. As for keeping up with people not to worry your blog definitely helps that. It may not be as personalized but it keeps people informed and honestly I feel like I know you better than some people who I spent a lot of time with in college and high school. Crazy how things change like that. Thanks for the post!
ReplyDeleteHah, I may not have gone to Denison, but I can definitely understand your feelings. Jumping straight into the real world out of college can be quite a challenge... your entire life, you've been told what you need to do to succeed. It was easy to measure your success because of grades and academic achievements etc... now that we're in the real world, what's our measure? How much we make? How happy we are? How "far" along in life we are (marriage, kids, retirement fund etc)? It's scary, and I sometimes long for the days of undergrad as well... but I guess that's a part of being a grown up. You have to make decisions in which the outcome is uncertain, and it's scary.
ReplyDeleteHope you're well man, I'm also terrible at keeping in contact with people, but you were a huge influence on my life in high school (and to a certain extent even now, I REALLY want to get SCUBA certified haha). Anyway, you've always been a good friend to me, and I hope we have a chance to really catch up again someday. I'm glad you have this blog and such an interesting life, take care! =D