What would field work be without a few hurdles?
I’m down in the lower FL Keys helping with a PhD student’s
project on bicolor damselfish. The
hardest part about the work is that we are collecting live samples. In other words, I’m fishing. …with aquarium nets. …on scuba gear. …chasing spry little fish from 1-6cm all over
the reef. Obviously there is some
difficulty there but we’re using a strong anesthetic to help us sedate the
fish. It’s still difficult but without
it there would be no hope of catching any.
There have been other issues such as equipment breaking, not having what
we need, weather not cooperating, etc but for the most part we have been able
to anticipate most of those problems.
The problem that I never expected happened even before
getting in the water. When we got to the
hotel (more of a motel/restaurant/dive center) at 9:30pm, we were given a set
of keys and told to go to room 24. Hungry
and exhausted, we were surprised when the door opened an inch before being
stopped by the chain that can only be locked from the inside. Perplexed, we returned to the key givers and
explained our situation to which we noted a facial expression similar to ours. Thinking through our options (which included
yanking the door open and breaking the chain, at the suggestion of the hotel
staff), I decided to break in through the window to which the hotel staff did not object. Prying the window slats open, I managed to
pop the screen out being careful not to knock over the lamp in front of the
window. Weaseling my way up to the
window, I slid in head first and face up into the lowest open window
panel. It’s not the first time I’ve
gotten into a locked room and I’m sure it won’t be the last, but it was one of
the most rewarding. It turns out that it's a suite with two entrances so the back door we were trying to access had been locked then the previous guests walked out the other door. The keys the hotel gave us were ineffective on the other door so we weren't sure which door connected through. At any rate it was a fun little adventure.
Since then, everything has been working smoothly. The other non-fish collecting news I have is
that I bought a 3-piece collapsible spear for shooting lionfish. The benefit is that it can break down and fit
into a small space that I can keep with me on every dive without any hassle at
all. I’m excited to try it out for the
first time and I’m sure I’ll have photos to come.
In bed by 11:45, awake by 6am for a long day of
research. Goodnight!
P.S. I’m still behind on posts so keep an eye on my
earlier days to see any new posts.
No comments:
Post a Comment