Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Sun Goes Down Over Shark Lab


Sometimes things come into our lives for good, but often times we get tired of, grow out of, or change our minds about things. This is the case for my participation in the lab I've worked as an intern catching and tagging sharks.

When I was accepted to be an intern in the program, I was warned by a few friends at RSMAS about the lack of focus on scientific content that is found in this lab but brushed off the comments as rumors that were not backed up by first-hand accounts. Last semester I had a great time on all of my trips and even putting in extra time to help put equipment together and re-structure an underwater video rig. I was even one of 4 interns that spent 5 days on a tiny fishing boat in the Dry Tortugas this past spring and loved it.

Tending the lines on the way to the site.  Photo: Anonymous
When I came back this semester I was excited to hear about all of the big plans that have been put in place to draw more media attention through newspapers, local news channels, internet posting, local educational outreach, and even big players such as National Geographic. As the semester progressed, I became exposed to a little more about how the program is run and I was not pleased. The best thing about the program is that everyone involved in it absolutely and firmly believes in what it stands for. The problem is that it lacks internal structure.  The program will undoubtedly continue to grow without me but it frustrates me to know that under different leadership it could be booming in both the scientific and media worlds.

I do not want to say anything more about what has led me to my decision since this is a public forum and do not want anyone to read this and misunderstand my issues and then give the program a bad name because it really does do a lot of good. It's been fun and I have memories that will last forever but my decision has been made. If the program turns around and really establishes itself structurally and things run more smoothly then I would consider offering my time to help them if they would take it. Until then, I'll spend my free weekends doing other things, perhaps running dive courses or traveling around southern Florida. Who knows!

No comments:

Post a Comment