Thursday, November 3, 2011

Delayed Gratification

Sad times are these that I don't post for weeks.

I'm afraid during that lapse, significant detail has fallen through the cracks.  At any rate, I will do what I can to hit the important parts.

Marc inspects the inside a full face mask while Jesse prepares to dive.
A few weekends ago, I was at Little Salt Spring.  Nothing has changed there since the last time I saw it (and probably for about 10 years prior for that matter).  This time however I was the one driving the van, setting up equipment, helping teach, buying groceries, and being much more in charge than last semester when I was there as a student.  We managed to have loads of fun making up a plot for a horror film, looking for shark teeth, having bonfires, telling stories, playing Taboo, and hanging out together.  Like last semester, we spent an entire morning at the Florida Aquarium where the students who earned the top 6 scores on the midterm were allowed to dive in the aquarium.  It was much more exciting this time as there are now several new sand tiger sharks in the tank.  Everyone who had the opportunity to dive there had a blast and those of us watching them enjoyed the show.  We then traveled to Venice Beach where we spent a dive in search of ancient shark teeth and I managed to find 9 within 20 minutes, 9 more than I found during the entire trip last semester.

The rest of the trip was eventful and enjoyable but will be sadly scratched from the record in the interest of hitting other parts of my life.

I am helping to head up the Science Diving Club at the university, something that has been in the works for over a year but lacking the resources and time to be put together officially.  The time has finally come and I am on the forefront.  There has been more than just talk about turning the classroom portion of the class I help teach into an online course.  I have been the driving force behind it and there are many reasons we want to do it.  Our program has been referred to as a bottleneck since we can safely only have 12 students per semester.  The plan is to turn the lectures into online modules which would give us enough time to offer twice as many in-water training sessions (which is the limiting factor - student/instructor ratio) and thus work through twice as many students.  It has a long way to go but I feel very empowered to be the one pushing the envelope for creative and resourceful ways to expand the program.

I was talking to a friend of mine recently and over the course of a long conversation was able to lay out very clearly an important observation which I will simplify for you all here.  I am exactly where I need to be.  I wake up every morning excited to go to work and it would take a lot to get me to give that away.  I feel important, useful, appreciated, and happy and I couldn't ask for more.  Praise God.

No comments:

Post a Comment