I am finally back in the land of the free and the home of the brave. It's been a long time coming and unfortunately legalities do not allow me to talk about the trips. However, there are more important matters at hand, such as employment.
I am now reaching out to the doorknob of a new and exciting doorway that as of yet has untold excitement and opportunity. As with everything in life, there is no moving backwards and this will be the last time I am where I am right now. This is a massive step for me and my life is never going to be the same. Some of you may think this may sound a bit dramatic. It does, but the fact is that it IS. Up until now I have never held a real full-time job in my life. I've worked more hours than I can count in my lifetime at numerous jobs but they have all been part-time, temporary, or seasonal positions.
The job I have agreed to take is to be the general lab manager for all underclassmen undergrad marine science labs. This includes making sure labs are locked and unlocked at the right times and that equipment is where it needs to be when it needs to be there and to make sure it works properly. The other part of the job is to be the assistant dive safety officer. Mind you, the Rosenstiel School (RSMAS) has one of the best diving programs of any university in the country and I would be second in command. This part of the job includes servicing equipment, teaching boating courses, helping with classes, conducting labs, taking care of paperwork, going out to do field work (locally and internationally), and doing whatever else needs to be done. Really when all is said and done, this entire job which is a brand new position that the university is still developing is really one and a half full-time jobs. I will be a university employee and will get full benefits of faculty members. My employers want me to be available long-term, as in several years meaning that I will have to find a more permanent housing situation (no, I'm not excited about leaving the house I'm in with Rafael and Luna).
So yes, I am standing on a new frontier of my life looking out over uncharted land. As far as I can see where I stand, I'm going to have to blaze my own trail here and there, cutting through or going around obstacles and really making adjustments. I look at these hurdles with excitement and a bit of a fire in my eyes. I'm ready to tackle this job. I'm going to miss the vast freedom I have enjoyed for so long as a scuba instructor and student but this job will bring me opportunities that I can't possibly imagine. I will continue to live as I always have: stick with what I love and have the faith that it will take me to where I need to be. As long as I keep that up, nothing can really go wrong.
This is exciting!
ReplyDelete