Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Keeping It Fresh

While life carried on as usual back home, here's what was going on with me yesterday:

As always, I woke up to my phone jingling just behind my head and turned on The Simpsons. A brief inventory assessment determined that the breakfast menu was either toast or french toast and I quickly opted for the latter. The layout of my room is such that when I'm in the kitchen, the tv is around the corner at such an angle that I end up cooking while imitating one of those tippy bird toys and miss most of what's going on.

Every weekday is Simpsons at 7 followed by Friends at 7:30. I've never really watched either show but since they're on, I've gotten into them a bit. I'm no raving fan of either one, but it's a nice way to start my mornings. I'd been following the episodes of Friends for a couple weeks to the point that one of the characters was about to move to France. About a week ago when 7:30 rolled around, all the characters were younger and I realized that I was watching an episode from one of the first seasons. Apparently the station decided I needed to get caught up on everything leading up to that point before I get to find out what happens.

After washing my dishes and delegating the air to dry them, I threw on my bag and headed off to work. We have two customers right now who are more interested in the local girls than they are in diving. In other words, work is awful. Right when I thought that it was going to be a long painfully boring day, Mark decides to treat us by taking us out to a 48m deep cave on double tanks. (Recreational dive limit is 40m). My eyes lit up like it was Christmas and I quickly began assembling my gear. An unusually bumpy 10 minute boat ride took us right to the entry point at which point we rolled backwards off the boat and started finning down as soon as we broke the surface. 20m. 25m. 30m. Darker and darker. 35m. I could feel the pressure compressing my wetsuit. 40m. Still descending.

By the time I reached 45 meters I could feel the nitrogen narcosis scrambling my brain. For those of you who don't know, nitrogen narcosis is a side effect of going deep and has to do with the increased amount of nitrogen in your body. People often relate it to being drunk. The only other time I really felt it was when I went to a deep wreck near Seal Island in South Africa and had trouble figuring out which way was up (great story if you're ever interested). The way it happened this time was slightly different. You know how you can have a couple thoughts simultaneously? Imagine trying to think 5 unrelated thoughts all at the same time. I'm not talking about multitasking or juggling 5 thoughts at once. I'm talking about having those thoughts competing for attention. It was like 5 people trying to talk to me at the same exact time, all of them equally determined to have my attention. I was unable to focus on any one thing at a time while finning around at 45 meters beneath the surface, fighting current, and trying to stay as close to the group as I could.

I look at my computer: nearly 49 meters. My head was swimming. We finally found the cave, zipped through the very short passage one at a time, and started our ascent. When I checked my computer, it showed 51.4m as the maximum depth: nearly 170ft.

Later, I got news that all of the instructor candidates (including Chris who works here) passed their course and exams. I was going to hang out with them for a bit but Tomi had made the suggestion earlier that we make a special dinner. We went to the market in a total downpour and bought supplies including shrimp, fish, and rice. Back at his place, we cut the simple ingredients, cleaned the shrimp, and thinly sliced the fish with my Letherman. We pressed the rice out on square pieces of seaweed and proceeded to roll our own sushi. I've never actually done it before so it was especially exciting. The fresh fish melted in my mouth, and the improvised soy sauce with chilies instead of wasabi ended up working quite well.

Following the sushi feast, we braved the rain all the way to the bar where we usually meet so we could congratulate the new instructors. We congratulated the three who were there but couldn't find Chris. However, since there was a pool tournament starting there at 9:30, Tomi and I decided to split and ended up going to play pool on our own for an hour before my bed was calling me so much that I couldn't ignore it and was forced to retire.

4 comments:

  1. Hah good to see more frequent updates man =D Mmm nitrogen narcosis sounds interesting and scary at the same time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a great day! I wish friends was on every morning here (except that I would be more likely to be late for my 8 o'clock class). Instead a watch bbc, but I have started getting into a few shows just like you (weakest link with european trivia and then the doctor drama's). It is fun to follow a story line and become familiar with characters. When you said you have a story to tell, it made me imagine you and me sitting on a beach somewhere, at a restaurant with outdoor seating and umbrellas, eating the longest dinner of our lives and catching up. That's exactly how it is going to go down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this sounds pretty awesome :) i hope you are having fun when you can!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nitrogen narcosis is crazy. What's crazier is that I'm planning to go to the same dive site in a couple hours. I hope it goes a little smoother this time.

    Luckily I have the will power to turn it off halfway through the episode everyday. If I was really into the show then it would be a problem. As for the catching up, please visit me in the Caribbean. Long dinner, totally laid back, no schedule, just hanging out and talking as the stars move overhead.

    I'm staying on my toes. It's fun but it's about time for a change of location. I'm considering spending maybe 4 days on Palawan (a different island with world renowned diving). That would take me out of here around the 22nd, but that's only if I decide to do it. Two more weeks and I'll know for sure!

    ReplyDelete